Saturday, March 3, 2012

I Pick up Year birds like it's my Job

Okay.  Maybe I didn't pick up that many year birds today, but I got a few, and was able to get some good photographs on the way.  First spot I went was Las Gallinas, and finally saw the long-staying Laughing Gull.  Nothing much else of note here.  Some Cackling Geese were present, which are always nice, including both Aleutian and Minima subspecies.  Next spot I hit was Sonoma to look for the Ruff, which I'd already struck out on once.  I walked the whole pond and was disappointed to hear that it had flown off with a yellowlegs about ten minutes before I arrived.  Ugh.  Pretty standard.  Finally I stopped in Petaluma and walked around the cemetery where there's been a Palm Warbler.  Spent a lot of time looking around for it seeing Nuttall's Woodpecker, Oak Titmouse, Townsend's Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and a single Chipping Sparrow was a nice surprise.  Linda Hunn showed up and we sat for a while at the "lollipop tree" waiting for the Palm Warbler.  Luckily, our patience paid off.  The Palm Warbler showed up.
Yellow-rumped Warbler
This Purple Finch was right outside our house at Palomarin the other day.
Savannah Sparrow, Las Gallinas Valley WTA
Laughing Gull, Las Gallinas Valley WTA
California Gull, Las Gallinas Valley WTA
Horrible photo of the Petaluma Chipping Sparrow
Palm Warbler, Petaluma, CA
Male Eurasian Wigeon with the American Wigeon, Bolinas, CA
Got a little too close to these American Wigeon, I guess.
Female Eurasian Wigeon with the Americans

By Luke Musher

No comments:

Post a Comment