Tuesday, May 1, 2012

White-faced Ibis and Stilt Sandpiper at Heislerville

By Luke Musher

At the end of the day today I went over to Heislerville with my co-workers/roommates, Steph and Nick.  Lots of new shorebirds out and about including Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers, Dunlin, Short-billed Dowitcher, Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers, a single Stilt Sandpiper (pretty rare in spring), Willet, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, and Ruddy Turnstone.  Someone else had White-rumped Sandpipers (making a total of 12 species).  I'll definitely be back in the morning to check it out again.

A White-faced Ibis was present with the Glossy Ibis on the south impoundment.  I digiscoped some photos with my iPhone.


I'm adding this photo a little late, but it's just to show that I've had all three North American Ibises in two days!  This White Ibis was present all day yesterday, 4/30/2012, at the Wetlands Institute near Stone Harbor, NJ.  
On a separate note, the solution to the tern photo quiz will be up tonight or tomorrow.  I sincerely apologize about the delay but I've been pretty busy with my new job.


No comments:

Post a Comment