Saturday, October 6, 2012

Two Vagrants

Gray-cheeked Thrush, Southeast Farallon Island, CA
Dan Maxwell seems to have the uncanny ability to walk up to a mist net and find a rare bird.  First the Arctic Warbler and yesterday a Gray-cheeked Thrush.  Sure, the second is incomparable to the first, but  it is still a great bird, and a review list species for the California Bird Records Committee. We also had Black-throated Green Warbler yesterday, though never caught it.  Both of these vagrants from the east are quite rare on the island.
Black-throated Green Warbler, Southeast Farallon Island, CA


Should have made it a Photo Quiz – too late.

2 comments:

  1. That quiz wouldve been easy!

    GCTH is a goddamn good bird...I have bird envy. How many have I seen in California? None. How many have I seen in my life? One. Hopefully I'll see some more in Florida next week. BTNW ain't bad either...who found it? Theres no glory in finding a rare bird stuck in a net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the BTNW! My first rarity I identified in Cali!

    ReplyDelete